Explore the Cemetery...
Where do we go from here?
Witham's Cemetery has been a long forgotten and neglected historic cemetery. It is located between Knight's Court and St John's Court in the south district. Although there are some burials dating from the late 18th C and the early 20th C, the bulk of the burials are from the first to the third quarter of the 19thC, particularly during the various yellow fever epidemics of the time. The Cemetery has also been known as the Officers' Cemetery and Sandpits Cemetery. As the name suggests, it was primarily as a resting place for officers and their families and members of the colonial establishment of the period who died in Gibraltar. There are well over two hundred graves there and over the years of neglect, the tombs have deteriorated greatly, and the natural vegetation and trees have been allowed to swamp the area. Over more recent years the cemetery has had a number of clean up attempts which have had limited short-term benefits.
Early 19th Century painting, over looking Sandpits and the Cemetery Late 19th Century photograph of Sandpits Magazine with Cemetery in the background
In 2014/15, the Gibraltar Heritage Trust decided to set the ball in motion to conserve and restore the site especially as the old St Margaret's School, formally Plata Villa, had come up for development. With the help of various volunteers and the developers of Plata Villa, Reafina, plans were put into place to bring the site into the public domain by proposing a pedestrian path through the cemetery from Upper St Joseph's Road through to the cemetery's present entrance at Sandpits magazine.
Minister Prof John Cortes speaking with Vice Chairman Keith Farrell. Volunteers at Witham's Cemetery, on site every Monday morning.
(Photo courtesy of YGTV Gibraltar)
Various entities and organisations were brought into the frame including the Friends of Gibraltar, various departments of HMGoG, with the project managed and supported by volunteers and Trustees from the GHT. The project has been slow to take off, but we are now seeing very significant progress. There has been pruning of trees and constant management of perennial weeds and invasive species. The graves themselves have in many cases been rebuilt using where possible recovered material and many of the vandalised and broken marble inscriptions have been recovered from the soil and put together for further restoration. The path being built by the developers is also taking shape.
The path through the cemetery taking shape, Reafina (the developers of Plata Villa) carrying out the works.
Along with the physical work has been the intellectual work of the correct identification of individual tombs and the collating of historical information about some of the very interesting and important individuals that are buried at Witham's.
The Trust has a regular team of volunteers who are on site every week. The team is made up of various skills, some with a heritage background, garderning skills or simply the love of seeing their work come to fruition. The work of the volunteers includes; basic grave restoration, clearing of paths, weeding, general clearing of areas, as well as historical research. This research involves the correct identification of individual tombs and the collating of historical information about some of the very interesting and important individuals that are buried at the cemetery.
If you are interested in volunteering with us or findind out more about the work of our volunteers, please email us.
Volunteers on site
Within Witham's Cemtery lie buried many important historical figures. Amongst them are; service men who saw action around the world, important local dignitaries, consuls and one very important High Court Judge. Family members of these men are also buried in Witham's Cemtery.
The earliest marked grave appears to be one from 17th June, 1754. A Henry Reid, son of Doctor Reid, surgeon of the 34th Regiment. However given the information found, this is the only 18th Century grave. It is from 1812 the cemetery begins to be used regularly. The last grave could be that of Charlotte Fenwick who died on the 9th November 1881.
We believe that there are 234 graves of which over 20% are children. This high child mortality rate, low life expectancy, in itself, tells us alot about the living conditions in Gibraltar and about the very basic medical knowledge that exsisted at that time. A lot has been written about the insanitary living conditions in Gibraltar during the late 18th Century and early 19th Century.
From the records we know that in Witham's there are 12 graves of people who died during the 1828 epidemic yellow fever outbreak. The problems were addressed by Dr John Hennen who in 1826 was appointed Principal Medical Officer. His reconmmendations to Lieutenant Governor General George Don, grealty influenced the response to the 1828 epidemic. Dr Hennen died of the disease on the 3rd November, 1828. A memorial tablet is visble today at the King's Chapel.
It is noted, that 16 Americans buried at the cemetery were disinterred and reburied at the North Front Cemetery.